We’ve been in communication with our brothers and sisters in Higuey all day. Hurricane Fiona hit our communities very hard overnight last night. Fortunately, everyone is safe and no one is injured, Gracias a Dios – Thank you God. They were able to take shelter in the Community Centers that we have built. God bless you for your goodness in making this possible. Throughout the storm last night – and over the years and through the pandemic – we assured them that they are not alone. God is with them and so are we. This gives them much comfort and hope.
We are working through spotty cell phone service and other logistical issues, but here’s what we know:
- In ‘the first community’, Comunidad San Juan Evangelista, we lost 15 roofs and 4 homes suffered severe wall damage, or complete collapse.
- In ‘the second community, Comunidad Vida Catolica’, we lost 13 roofs.
The 28 families, whose homes are damaged, are staying with neighbors, in our community centers, or with family and friends. We are actively working to provide them with food, clean water and other essentials to get them through the next few days. We have materials on order, but they won’t arrive until the weekend due to roads being flooded, blocked by debris or closed. Father Bob is working to get to the DR this week to aid and assist…but, we need your help.
Kike (Key-Key), our long time friend and companion in the Dominican, explained that in his whole life, he has never seen such damage and destruction. The storm moved very slowly over the Dominican with high winds and lots of rain. He lost his home and is devastated.
There are 3 ways you can help:
- Please pray for our friends, who have become like family. Pray that they remain calm and at peace, and know that we are here to assist them.
- If you are able to make a donation to cover the costs of rebuilding the roofs and homes – or if you can donate to cover the cost of food, clean water and other essentials, please consider doing so.
- Please share your story and connection with the Dominican Republic over Social Media and encourage your friends and family to donate and support Mission Possible.